UP CM for removal of central excise duty on diesel
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati
on Tuesday demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should
abolish central excise duty on diesel and roll back recent
hike in prices of diesel, petrol, LPG and kerosene oil.
"The Chief Minister has sent a letter to the Prime Minister
requesting him to abolish excise duty on diesel in the wake of
large scale protest against hike in petrol prices and to
demand roll back of the recent hike," a government spokesman
In her letter, Mayawati said a hike of Rs 3 and Rs 2 in
prices of diesel and kerosene oil and Rs 50 in LPG would
create an additional burden on the people.
"Due to the hike in diesel price, prices of consumable
items will also increase due to higher transportation cost,"
She said there was no justification behind the meeting of
the Empowered Group of Ministers for price revision when graph
of rates of crude oil in the international market was on the
"When the rate of crude oil had declined by 5 per cent in
the international market, the decision to raise the price was
not logical," she said.
Mayawati alleged that in the last six years from 2005-06
to 2010-11, the UPA government extended a rebate of Rs 21 lakh
crore to the corporate world and to make up the loss, it
raised the prices of diesel, kerosene and LPG.
She said that in 2008 the state government reduced local
tax on diesel from 21 per cent to 17.23 per cent and abolished
4 per cent tax on LPG.
Due to deduction in the tax rate, the state exchequer is
facing a burden of Rs 1000 crore annually, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog