UP CM invites Prez for state assembly celebrations
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has invited President Pranab Mukherjee to be the chief guest at the function to commemorate the 125th year of the Uttar Pradesh state assembly.
He has also requested through two separate letters written to the Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibbal for release of a special commemorative stamp and to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram for a special coin by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on the occasion, so that they could can be released at the hands of the President.
In his letter to the President yesterday Akhilesh said the UP legislature has had a rich past and it was the wish of the legislators and the people of the state that he be invited as the chief guest at the function.
The state assembly completes 125 years on January 8, 2013.
The commemorative event is proposed to be held between January 8 and January 10.
He has also requested the President to give his consent for coming to the function between these dates so that the preparations could be started in the right earnest.
In UP, which was earlier called the North Western Provinces and Avadh, the legislative council (UP legislative assembly) was established on January 8, 1887 and its first meeting was held at Thornhill Memorial Hall in Allahabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!