UP CM invites Prez for state assembly celebrations
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has invited President Pranab Mukherjee to be the chief guest at the function to commemorate the 125th year of the Uttar Pradesh state assembly.
He has also requested through two separate letters written to the Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibbal for release of a special commemorative stamp and to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram for a special coin by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on the occasion, so that they could can be released at the hands of the President.
In his letter to the President yesterday Akhilesh said the UP legislature has had a rich past and it was the wish of the legislators and the people of the state that he be invited as the chief guest at the function.
The state assembly completes 125 years on January 8, 2013.
The commemorative event is proposed to be held between January 8 and January 10.
He has also requested the President to give his consent for coming to the function between these dates so that the preparations could be started in the right earnest.
In UP, which was earlier called the North Western Provinces and Avadh, the legislative council (UP legislative assembly) was established on January 8, 1887 and its first meeting was held at Thornhill Memorial Hall in Allahabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray