UP CM invites Prezt for state assembly celebrations
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has invited President Pranab Mukherjee to be the chief guest at the function to commemorate the 125th year of the Uttar Pradesh state assembly.
He has also requested through two separate letters written to the Union Telecom Minister Kapil Sibbal for release of a special commemorative stamp and to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram for a special coin by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on the occasion, so that they could can be released at the hands of the president.
In his letter to the President yesterday Akhilesh said the UP legislature has had a rich past and it was the wish of the legislators and the people of the state that he be invited as the chief guest at the function
The state assembly completes 125 years on January 8, 2013.
The commemorative event is proposed to be held between January 8 and January 10.
He has also requested the President to give his consent for coming to the function between these dates so that the preparations could be started in the right earnest.
In UP, which was earlier called the North Western Provinces and Avadh, the legislative council (UP legislative assembly) was established on January 8, 1887 and its first meeting was held at Thornhill Memorial Hall in Allahabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar