UP CM meets Delhi gang-rape victim’s family
Ballia: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Friday met the family of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim here and promised them all possible help from the state government.
The chief minister, who arrived at the victim`s native Medawar Kala village here, spent about half an hour with the family speaking to male members outside the house and later went inside to meet her mother and express his condolences.
The chief minister also presented a cheque of Rs 20 lakhs to the parents of the girl.
While speaking to reporters, Yadav said that though the government has extended help to the family, their loss is immense and cannot be compensated.
"This is a gruesome incident...The country has come to know of it...There has not been any such case in the world...There is anger in the country over it and people are also showing it," Yadav said.
The chief minister also announced that a primary health centre (PHC) would be set up in the village for which land has been made available but denied that it would be named after the girl saying that there was no such provision under the law.
Appealing on behalf of the government and also Samajwadi Party for stern punishment to those guilty of the crime, Yadav said the paramedical student was the family`s hope for better future but could not be saved.
Yadav said that after the incident, governments have woken up and there is a need to initiate concrete steps to deal with them.
"The police also need to keep a vigilant eye. Stern measures would be taken up soon," he said.
Referring to the women helpline started by the UP police, Yadav said that a door has been opened for women to seek help in distress and promised that more steps would be taken by his government.
To questions regarding no state official attending the last rites of martyred soldier Hemraj in Mathura, the chief minister refused to comment saying that today he would not speak on any other issues.
He also evaded questions regarding demands for provision of capital punishment on rape charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her