UP CM uses Environment Day for Mayawati bashing
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday utilised the occasion of World Environment Day to attack his predecessor Mayawati, saying instead of planting trees the BSP government went on erecting statues.
He said the previous government was against trees and felled them wherever it got a chance to erect statues, though figures given by the forest department claimed that crores of saplings were planted during the BSP regime.
Yadav was addressing a function organised at Lohia Park here on the occasion of the World Environment Day.
"If you go through the figures, the department had planted crores of saplings. It had launched a massive record breaking plantation drive. It was decided that 10 crore saplings would be planted, but show me even one crore plants," he said.
He also mocked the department`s claim that crores of trees were planted in Bundelkhand. "When an inquiry was conducted branches of trees were planted to show that there were trees," the chief minister said.
He said the state capital should have big parks full of tress and pointed out that Lohia Park was better than the park of stones and statues of elephants (BSP`s election symbol).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday