UP CM uses Environment Day for Mayawati bashing
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday utilised the occasion of World Environment Day to attack his predecessor Mayawati, saying instead of planting trees the BSP government went on erecting statues.
He said the previous government was against trees and felled them wherever it got a chance to erect statues, though figures given by the forest department claimed that crores of saplings were planted during the BSP regime.
Yadav was addressing a function organised at Lohia Park here on the occasion of the World Environment Day.
"If you go through the figures, the department had planted crores of saplings. It had launched a massive record breaking plantation drive. It was decided that 10 crore saplings would be planted, but show me even one crore plants," he said.
He also mocked the department`s claim that crores of trees were planted in Bundelkhand. "When an inquiry was conducted branches of trees were planted to show that there were trees," the chief minister said.
He said the state capital should have big parks full of tress and pointed out that Lohia Park was better than the park of stones and statues of elephants (BSP`s election symbol).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...