UP CMO murder case: Three arrested
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh STF on Friday claimed
a breakthrough in the CMO BP Singh murder case by arresting
three persons and attributed the killing to "massive
irregularities" in the health department, especially in the
purchase of medicines.
Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told
reporters that the three were picked up from the Madiyahon
police station area.
The trio admitted they had received Rs 7 lakh for the
crime. Chief Medical Officer of Family Welfare Dr Singh was
shot dead on April 2 near his house during a morning walk.
On the motive behind the murder, Singh said it was
the "outcome of massive irregularities in the department with
regard to purchase of medicines and other essentials and
payment and the role of arrested Deputy CMO YS Sachan has
also been proved".
The trio -- Ram Krishna Verma, Anand Tewari and Vinod
Sharma -- also gave important inputs about the murder of
another CMO Vinod Arya who was killed in a similar incident on
October 27 last year, the cabinet secretary said.
Asked about if there was involvement of Health
Minister Anant Kumar Mishra and Family Welfare Minister Babu
Singh Khushwaha, who resigned after the murder, he said the
ministers had quit only on moral grounds.
About Sudkhar Pandey, who is believed to be the main
shooter in both the murder cases, Singh said investigations
are on and more facts are likely to come.
Pandey is absconding.
"A number of facts about the Dr Arya murder case have
also come to the fore," the cabinet secretary said but did not
He said a .32 pistol and 315 bore country made pistol,
bikes, a car and six mobile sets were recovered from the
A separate post of CMO (family welfare) was created
last year to ensure that all welfare schemes were implemented
smoothly and properly.
CMO Singh, who was appointed after Arya`s killing, was
known to have taken stern measures to improve the functioning
of the department and ensure that funds were utilised
The ballistic report of cartridges from FSL Agra had
shown links between Singh and Arya`s murders though it has not
been officially confirmed.
Arya was shot dead near his Vikas Nagar residence when
he had gone for a morning walk and six months later Singh was
killed in a similar manner in Gomti Nagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption