UP: Cong alleges sugar mills sold for song, demands probe
Lucknow: Alleging large-scale corruption
in sale of four state-owned sugar mills in Uttar Pradesh, the
Congress today approached the Lok Ayukta demanding a thorough
probe into the deals.
"Our allegation is that government property has been
sold at a throwaway price and massive corruption is involved
in these deals," AICC general secretary Digivijay Singh said.
The exercise failed to earn real cost of the units,
he told reporters after meeting the Lok Ayukta, an Ombudsman,
whose primary role is to combat corruption.
"Only one or two bidders participated in the entire
exercise. Generally bids are not decided in such cases," said
Singh, in-charge of party affairs in Uttar Pradesh.
Alleging rampant corruption under Mayawati`s rule, he
said he apprehended sale of more such government assets for a
The Congress leader said the party had submitted an
affidavit to the Lok Ayukta demanding a thorough probe into
the sale of sugar mills.
"The hearing is likely to take place after a week and
we hope the Lok Ayukta will do justice," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?