UP: Cong to launch farmers` awareness campaign
Lucknow: To woo farmers ahead of assembly
polls in Uttar Pradesh, the Congress would launch an awareness
campaign to apprise them of what it alleged anti-farmers
policies being pursued by the BSP-led Mayawati government in
"Farmers will be told how the state has failed to take
any friendly step for them in the past four years and how it
has failed to provide them the real benefit of various central
government schemes," chairman of the monitoring cell of the
party for the national Floriculture Mission and the National
Agriculture Development Scheme Shashikant Tewari said here
"In 2009-2010, Rs 390.87 crore were provided to Uttar
Pradesh under the National Agriculture Development Scheme but
because of indifferent attitude of the state officials Rs 314
crore could not be utilised.
"This is enough to show government`s negligent attitude
towards agriculture and farmers," he said.
A token sit-in would also be staged at the agriculture
centres in all districts during the campaign, Tewari said.
Earlier, the BJP has announced to launch an eight-day
sit-in in the state from September 11 to highlight the
condition of flood-affected people and farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'