UP Congress demands action against BSP MLA
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Congress on Friday asked
Chief Minister Mayawati to arrest a BSP MLA and his associates
for allegedly raping a girl belonging to the backward class
and falsely implicating her in a theft case.
"A most backward minor girl was raped by BSP MLA
Purshottam Narain Dwivedi and his associates in Banda and she
was later lodged in the jail on charges of stealing the
legislator`s licensed pistol and Rs 5000," Congress state
president Rita Bahuguna Joshi told reporters.
Joshi claimed that to save the ruling party MLA, local
police has framed the 17-year-old girl and sent her to jail
where no one was allowed to meet her.
"I demand from the Chief Minister to lodge an FIR on
application of girl`s father against MLAs and others,
constitute a medical board for examination of the girl and
order a high level judicial probe into the matter," Joshi
Alleging that she was not allowed to meet the girl in
Banda jail yesterday, Joshi claimed that the Superintendent of
Police remained in the jail for six and a half hour on
December 29 at the behest of probing her.
"We also demand immediate suspension of the SP, who is
a hurdle in the probe against the MLA," Joshi said alleging
that when she spoke to the DGP, Karmveer Singh he expressed
his ignorance over the issue.
Announcing a series of sit-ins and protests in Banda to
ensure justice to the girl, Joshi said from tomorrow local
party workers of Banda would gherao the District Magistrate.
"Workers of Youth Congress, NSUI and district committee
will hold agitations separately in Banda," she said alleging
that the present government was sheltering criminals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- RJD nominates expelled BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi to Rajya Sabha
- Apple Inc may never open retail stores in India: Here is why!
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May