UP Congress seeks judicial probe into violence in Lucknow
Lucknow: A delegation of Congress leaders on Saturday called on Governor BL Joshi demanding immediate steps to stop clashes in old city area here and sought a judicial probe into the matter.
Led by former state Congress president and MLA, Rita Bahuguna Joshi, the team submitted a memorandum to the governor drawing his attention on the allegedly laxity and insensitivity of the Samajwadi Party government in checking the communal clashes in the old city areas.
"This is the 28th communal riot during Samajwadi Party`s rule in the state and we urge you to direct the government to order a time-bound inquiry by a sitting high court judge into the Lucknow incidents," the memorandum said.
They also demanded adequate compensation for those who have suffered losses during these incidents and free treatment of those injured.
Tension started in old city area on Wednesday last when two groups of same sect clashed and engaged in bricking batting and arsoning during 21st Ramzan procession in Bazar Khala area here, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet