UP considers banning gutka, paan masala
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government is seriously contemplating banning gutka and paan masala. The state`s legal department has been asked to work on the proposal.
On Wednesday, Uttar Pradesh Advocate General S.P. Gupta told the Allahabad High Court during the hearing of a public interest litigation that the state was seriously exploring the option of a ban.
The government was never so serious as it is now, a senior official said.
The PIL was filed by the Indian Dental Association (IDA) seeking a ban on the sale of chewing tobacco in the state.
In its affidavit, the government sought time to deliberate and decide on the matter.
Three paan masala makers have also filed an application seeking to be made respondents in the case.
The next date of hearing is Aug 1.
The IDA has also written to the central government, asking it to invoke the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2011 against the sale of paan masala and gutka.
Most of these products in the state are made in Saharanpur, Kanpur, Kannauj and Mainpuri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’