UP considers banning gutka, paan masala
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government is seriously contemplating banning gutka and paan masala. The state`s legal department has been asked to work on the proposal.
On Wednesday, Uttar Pradesh Advocate General S.P. Gupta told the Allahabad High Court during the hearing of a public interest litigation that the state was seriously exploring the option of a ban.
The government was never so serious as it is now, a senior official said.
The PIL was filed by the Indian Dental Association (IDA) seeking a ban on the sale of chewing tobacco in the state.
In its affidavit, the government sought time to deliberate and decide on the matter.
Three paan masala makers have also filed an application seeking to be made respondents in the case.
The next date of hearing is Aug 1.
The IDA has also written to the central government, asking it to invoke the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2011 against the sale of paan masala and gutka.
Most of these products in the state are made in Saharanpur, Kanpur, Kannauj and Mainpuri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand
- Donald Trump has no clue about middle class, says Joe Biden
- Barack Obama endorses Hillary Clinton for US presidency - Highlights