UP considers banning gutka, paan masala
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government is seriously contemplating banning gutka and paan masala. The state`s legal department has been asked to work on the proposal.
On Wednesday, Uttar Pradesh Advocate General S.P. Gupta told the Allahabad High Court during the hearing of a public interest litigation that the state was seriously exploring the option of a ban.
The government was never so serious as it is now, a senior official said.
The PIL was filed by the Indian Dental Association (IDA) seeking a ban on the sale of chewing tobacco in the state.
In its affidavit, the government sought time to deliberate and decide on the matter.
Three paan masala makers have also filed an application seeking to be made respondents in the case.
The next date of hearing is Aug 1.
The IDA has also written to the central government, asking it to invoke the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2011 against the sale of paan masala and gutka.
Most of these products in the state are made in Saharanpur, Kanpur, Kannauj and Mainpuri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday