UP cop transferred to Kanpur over remarks against rape victim
Deoria: After the hullaballoo over his sexist remark, senior Uttar Pradesh police officer, Keshav Chand Goswami, has been transferred from Deoria to Kanpur.
"Her oldest child is 17. Who would rape an elderly woman like you?" the Assistant Superintendent of Police, Deoria, had told the Dalit woman from the Bankata area in front of a crowd on Friday. The woman had petitioned the officer seeking registration of her rape complaint.
Goswami reportedly asked the woman her age and when told that she was a mother of four and that the age of her eldest son was 17, he snapped at the woman saying: "Itni budhi aurat ka kaun balatkaar karega (Who would rape such an old woman)."
Goswami has now been asked to explain his comments within two days.
Condemning the incident, Congress party`s state unit president Nirmal Khatri said it was a blot on the state government. "Such a statement from a responsible official is very sad and shocking," he said.
Trying to salvage an already tarnished image of the state police, senior police officials reacted sharply to the incident. "It is a serious matter, we are very sorry at the behaviour of the police officer," Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Rajkumar Vishwakarma told a news agency.
He added that Director General of Police AC Sharma has sought an explanation from the errant official, and he has been asked to submit a written explanation within two days.
Based on the complaint of the Dalit woman, a case of rape has also been lodged by police against some villagers named by her, Sharma said.
Spokesperson of the Bharatiya Janata Party Vijay Bahadur Pathak said: "It is for everyone to see what the UP Police is doing: extorting money from poor people, firing at innocent people and responding late to crimes."
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back