UP: Death toll in hooch tragedy reaches 4, officials suspended
Allahabad: Three persons died today after
consuming spurious liquor in a village in the district, even
as four officials of the excise department have been suspended
in this connection.
One death each was reported from Isauna, Bhunda and
Navanika villages in the tehsil in the district`s trans-Yamuna
region, around 50 kms from the city, where one person hailing
from Maheba village had died after consuming spurious liquor
on Friday, police said.
With this, the toll in the recent hooch tragedy has
risen to four.
Four others, who had fallen ill after consuming
illicit liquor, are undergoing treatment at various health
One of the injured reported complete loss of vision
following which he has been referred to the city-based SRN
hospital, police added.
Meanwhile, District Excise Officer Yogesh Rai, Excise
Inspector Girija Shankar Singh and two excise constables have
been suspended for dereliction of duty, official sources said.
No arrests have been made so far in this connection
even as police and excise officials claim to have set up three
teams to identify and nab those responsible for manufacturing
and distributing the spurious liquor.
This is the second hooch tragedy to have struck the
district in less than two months.
On September eight, seven persons died in a village in
the district after consuming spurious liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'