UP declares 20 districts flood-hit, seeks central assistance
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has declared 20 districts flood-hit, officials said on Friday, adding that financial assistance from the central government would be sought to offer compensation for rain-related damage.
Central assistance would also be required to undertake repairs to public property damaged by rain, an official of the relief department said.
A decision to declare the districts flood-hit was taken late Thursday. Orders have been issued to the district magistrates to assess loss to life and property, and send a detailed report so that a flood relief and rehabilitation package can be prepared.
Sitapur, Lakhimpur Kheri, Bahraich, Faizabad, Barabanki, Shahjahanpur, Gorakhpur, Siddharthanagar, Sant Kabirnagar, Ballia, Varanasi, Mirzapur, Allahabad, Banda, Hamirpur, Amroha, Gonda, Pilibhit, Kanpur Rural and Chitrakoot have been declared flood-hit.
Secretary and Relief Commissioner L Venkateshwar Lu has asked officials to also assess the damage to livestock and crops. "The reports have to be submitted to the state government within a week," an official said.
While the state government releases funds for flood relief at its own level, financial assistance is sought from the central government when the damage by floods is extensive.
The centre had granted Rs 1,300 crore as a special flood relief package to Uttar Pradesh in 2010-11 and Rs 500 crore in 2011-12.
More than 275 people have so far perished in the flood and rain-related incidents like lightning strikes, drowning and house collapses.
The opposition parties in the state have come down heavily on the state government for its lethargic response after floods wrought massive destruction this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video