UP declares 20 districts flood-hit, seeks central assistance
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has declared 20 districts flood-hit, officials said on Friday, adding that financial assistance from the central government would be sought to offer compensation for rain-related damage.
Central assistance would also be required to undertake repairs to public property damaged by rain, an official of the relief department said.
A decision to declare the districts flood-hit was taken late Thursday. Orders have been issued to the district magistrates to assess loss to life and property, and send a detailed report so that a flood relief and rehabilitation package can be prepared.
Sitapur, Lakhimpur Kheri, Bahraich, Faizabad, Barabanki, Shahjahanpur, Gorakhpur, Siddharthanagar, Sant Kabirnagar, Ballia, Varanasi, Mirzapur, Allahabad, Banda, Hamirpur, Amroha, Gonda, Pilibhit, Kanpur Rural and Chitrakoot have been declared flood-hit.
Secretary and Relief Commissioner L Venkateshwar Lu has asked officials to also assess the damage to livestock and crops. "The reports have to be submitted to the state government within a week," an official said.
While the state government releases funds for flood relief at its own level, financial assistance is sought from the central government when the damage by floods is extensive.
The centre had granted Rs 1,300 crore as a special flood relief package to Uttar Pradesh in 2010-11 and Rs 500 crore in 2011-12.
More than 275 people have so far perished in the flood and rain-related incidents like lightning strikes, drowning and house collapses.
The opposition parties in the state have come down heavily on the state government for its lethargic response after floods wrought massive destruction this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars