UP DGP seeks death penalty in cases of murder after rape
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma on Friday suggested that murder after rape cases should be considered as rarest of the rare and sought death penalty for such culprits.
In a letter to the state government, Sharma said, this provision will also ensure fear of police among those involved in such acts.
"I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape", Sharma said.
In the letter, the DGP also said that those who indulged in eve-teasing or other forms of sexual harassment must be imprisoned immediately and strict action should be taken against them.
The DGP`s remarks came after widespread protest over the gang-rape of a young woman in a moving bus in Delhi on December 16. The girl is currently battling for her life at a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof