UP DGP seeks death penalty in cases of murder after rape
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma on Friday suggested that murder after rape cases should be considered as rarest of the rare and sought death penalty for such culprits.
In a letter to the state government, Sharma said, this provision will also ensure fear of police among those involved in such acts.
"I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape", Sharma said.
In the letter, the DGP also said that those who indulged in eve-teasing or other forms of sexual harassment must be imprisoned immediately and strict action should be taken against them.
The DGP`s remarks came after widespread protest over the gang-rape of a young woman in a moving bus in Delhi on December 16. The girl is currently battling for her life at a Singapore hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Andy Murray keen to win another Grand Slam title before turning 30
- Hong Kong''s first suspected Zika case tests negative: Radio
- One policeman killed in South Kashmir
- Terrorists gun down policeman in Kashmir's Pulwama district
- BJP to hold meet with CMs' of party-ruled states, PM Modi to address concluding session