UP DGP seeks death penalty in cases of murder after rape
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Ambrish Chandra Sharma on Friday suggested that murder after rape cases should be considered as rarest of the rare and sought death penalty for such culprits.
In a letter to the state government, Sharma said, this provision will also ensure fear of police among those involved in such acts.
"I have written a letter to the state government asking it to take up the matter with Centre to ensure provisions of death penalty in cases of murder after rape", Sharma said.
In the letter, the DGP also said that those who indulged in eve-teasing or other forms of sexual harassment must be imprisoned immediately and strict action should be taken against them.
The DGP`s remarks came after widespread protest over the gang-rape of a young woman in a moving bus in Delhi on December 16. The girl is currently battling for her life at a Singapore hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!