UP DGP shunted out after Oppn protests against law and order
Lucknow: Under attack from Opposition parties for the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh, state police chief Vikram Singh was shunted out and the post
was on Wednesday assumed by Karamveer Singh on his return after a central deputation.
The DGP`s transfer came late last night amid strong criticism of the increasing crime rate in the state and the city which witnessed violence and arson at the residence of
UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi allegedly by BSP workers here in July.
Both Congress and Samajwadi Party launched agitations against the Mayawati government especially on the law and order front.
However, no official reason has been cited behind the transfer of Vikram Singh, a 1975-batch IPS officer, who had been heading the UP police force since BSP came to power in the state in 2007.
Karamveer Singh, also of the same batch, who just returned after a deputation at the Centre where he was posted as Special DG in CRPF, took charge at DG camp office here.
After taking over, he told reporters that his priority will be to improve the efficiency of the force and make personnel sensitive and duty bound.
In his earlier stint in the state, he had held the posts of IG Varanasi and STF, and had also served as district police chief of Faizabad, Agra and Azamgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry