UP DGP shunted out after Oppn protests against law and order
Lucknow: Under attack from Opposition parties for the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh, state police chief Vikram Singh was shunted out and the post
was on Wednesday assumed by Karamveer Singh on his return after a central deputation.
The DGP`s transfer came late last night amid strong criticism of the increasing crime rate in the state and the city which witnessed violence and arson at the residence of
UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi allegedly by BSP workers here in July.
Both Congress and Samajwadi Party launched agitations against the Mayawati government especially on the law and order front.
However, no official reason has been cited behind the transfer of Vikram Singh, a 1975-batch IPS officer, who had been heading the UP police force since BSP came to power in the state in 2007.
Karamveer Singh, also of the same batch, who just returned after a deputation at the Centre where he was posted as Special DG in CRPF, took charge at DG camp office here.
After taking over, he told reporters that his priority will be to improve the efficiency of the force and make personnel sensitive and duty bound.
In his earlier stint in the state, he had held the posts of IG Varanasi and STF, and had also served as district police chief of Faizabad, Agra and Azamgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31