UP DGP shunted out after Oppn protests against law and order
Lucknow: Under attack from Opposition parties for the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh, state police chief Vikram Singh was shunted out and the post
was on Wednesday assumed by Karamveer Singh on his return after a central deputation.
The DGP`s transfer came late last night amid strong criticism of the increasing crime rate in the state and the city which witnessed violence and arson at the residence of
UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi allegedly by BSP workers here in July.
Both Congress and Samajwadi Party launched agitations against the Mayawati government especially on the law and order front.
However, no official reason has been cited behind the transfer of Vikram Singh, a 1975-batch IPS officer, who had been heading the UP police force since BSP came to power in the state in 2007.
Karamveer Singh, also of the same batch, who just returned after a deputation at the Centre where he was posted as Special DG in CRPF, took charge at DG camp office here.
After taking over, he told reporters that his priority will be to improve the efficiency of the force and make personnel sensitive and duty bound.
In his earlier stint in the state, he had held the posts of IG Varanasi and STF, and had also served as district police chief of Faizabad, Agra and Azamgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested