UP dishonour killing: Police arrest third accused
Bulandshahr: After widespread outrage over the killing of Abdul Hakim, a participant in Amir Khan`s reality show `Satyamev Jayate` who was murdered in a suspected case of honour killing, police on Wednesday arrested one more person in connection with the case.
Gullu, 25, was arrested from the city railway station, taking the total number of suspects arrested so far to three, said Circle officer(City) Lal Sahib Yadav.
The accused belongs to the village Bhantgarhi, the same place where Hakim was shot dead on November 22, he added.
FIRs have been lodged against a total of five persons on the basis of complaint filed by Hakim`s brother Yusuf and according to SSP Gulab Singh, raids are being conducted to arrest the remaining two accused.
Hakim, who had married a girl Mahvish against her parents` wishes, had revealed threats to his life from girl`s family members during his appearance in Amir`s TV show.
His killing drew widespread criticism, compelling the Central government to seek report from the Uttar Pradesh government over the issue.
On November 27, Minister of State for Home R P N Singh had said that the government was "very seriously trying" to amend the Constitution to deal with the honour killing menace.
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! When Australian all-rounder James Faulkner turned Gujarati for a day
- Shocking: Woman abducted in Bengaluru, escapes rape bid after raising alarm
- Indian weightlifters earn two quota places for Olympics
- ISIS sex slave kidnapped by Indian-origin Islamic State terrorist Siddhartha Dhar
- Italy cites UN arbitration court, says India should release Italian marine