UP farmers block highways over non-payment of arrears
Ghaziabad: Farmers in western Uttar Pradesh blocked National Highway-58 and NH-24 at many places here demanding immediate payment of their sugarcane dues.
Despite a warning by the district administration and elaborate police arrangements, the farmers succeeded in staging dharnas at Modinagar, Rajnagar Extension, Duhai and Bhojpur on NH-58. The farmers staged a dharna and stopped traffic at Hapur in the city.
People were inconvenienced by the dharnas which began at around 10 am. Police managed to disperse the protesters by 2.00 pm and opened the roads for traffic.
The farmers brought their tractors and cattle for dharna on the NH-24 too and disrupted traffic bound for Lucknow and Moradabad.
The Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) had given a call for blocking the traffic on all the major roads in western Uttar Pradesh to press their demand for immediate payment of the sugarcane dues by the sugar mills.
Farmer leader Rajvir Singh said that sugar mill owners are yet to clear farmers` dues amounting to Rs 5,500 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note