UP: Farmers postpone agitation after assurance
Chandauli: The farmers of Katesar
village, who were protesting the acquisition of land by
Varanasi Development Authority, on Tuesday postponed their week
long agitation after assurance from district administration.
After a written assurance from the District Magistrate
Vijay Kumar Tripathi, who met the aggrieving farmers
yesterday, the sit-in protest which started on May 24 was
After the meeting with the farmers failed yesterday,
District Magistrate Vijay Kumar Tripathi wrote a letter to the
Principal Secretary, Housing and Urban Planning recommending
cancelling of land acquisition in the village.
"After the written assurance that land would not be
acquired was given by the DM to the farmers, they decided to
postpone their protest for a month", farmer leaders said.
"We will again start our agitation if notification for
land acquirement is not cancelled within a month," Ram Lakhan
Yadav, President Kisan Sangharsh Samiti (KSS) said.
Farmers of Katesar village in Mugalsarai were on dharna
since May 24 against land acquisition by Varanasi Development
Authority (VDA). More than 1500 farmers are allegedly affected
by the acquisition.
Out of the 300 hectare of land needed for cultural city
project, 121 hectare is to be acquired in Katesar and rest in
Kodopur village, VDA sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?