UP: Farmers protesting land acquisition warn of battle ahead
Chandauli: Tension has gripped the
Mughalsarai area here, as hundreds of farmers are staging
protest against land acquisition by Varanasi Development
Farmers of Katesar village, armed with sticks, axes and
various farming instruments, are staging dharna since May 24
against the land acquisition.
The sit-in started on May 24 and will continue
till the demand of the farmers are met by government, a farmer
"We (farmers) will fight a bloody battle if this land
acquisition is not cancelled. We will commit suicide by
setting ourselves ablaze on June 1 if our demands are not
met," Ram Lakhan Yadav, president of Kisan Sangharsh
More than 1500 farmers are being affected by the
acquisition, he alleged, adding that on May 22 the district
officials had assured them that their demand would be
considered and there would be no further land acquisition in
But, this was not fulfilled, he said.
A heavy police force has been deployed in the area in
order to prevent any untoward incident.
300 hectare of land was needed for the cultural hub
project of year 2008, in which 121 hectare is to be acquired
in Katesar and rest in Kodopur village, VDA sources said.
A total requirement of fund in the project would be
around Rs 115 crore for the first phase, and housing and urban
development corporation (HUDCO) had assured a loan in this
regard, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla