UP: Farmers protesting land acquisition warn of battle ahead
Chandauli: Tension has gripped the
Mughalsarai area here, as hundreds of farmers are staging
protest against land acquisition by Varanasi Development
Farmers of Katesar village, armed with sticks, axes and
various farming instruments, are staging dharna since May 24
against the land acquisition.
The sit-in started on May 24 and will continue
till the demand of the farmers are met by government, a farmer
"We (farmers) will fight a bloody battle if this land
acquisition is not cancelled. We will commit suicide by
setting ourselves ablaze on June 1 if our demands are not
met," Ram Lakhan Yadav, president of Kisan Sangharsh
More than 1500 farmers are being affected by the
acquisition, he alleged, adding that on May 22 the district
officials had assured them that their demand would be
considered and there would be no further land acquisition in
But, this was not fulfilled, he said.
A heavy police force has been deployed in the area in
order to prevent any untoward incident.
300 hectare of land was needed for the cultural hub
project of year 2008, in which 121 hectare is to be acquired
in Katesar and rest in Kodopur village, VDA sources said.
A total requirement of fund in the project would be
around Rs 115 crore for the first phase, and housing and urban
development corporation (HUDCO) had assured a loan in this
regard, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report