UP files data in SC of victims of Muzaffarnagar violence
New Delhi: 46 Muslims and 16 Hindus and lost their lives in the recent communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining districts in Uttar Pradesh, the state government said in the Supreme Court on Thursday.
Presenting a detailed report on the clashes, the Uttar Pradesh government also informed the court that 11 people from Hindu Community and 57 from Muslim community were injured in the clashes in which 615 Hindus and 261 Muslims persons were named as accused in 128 cases registered so far in the districts of Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Meerut, Baghpat and Saharanpur.
"It is paining us and we are also not happy. No segregation be made. A death is death. But if there is an allegation then it has to be explained by the government," the bench said when objection were raised over the report," a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam expressed anguish said noting that allegations were levelled by various petitioners against government for allegedly showing bias on communal lines.
The bench also made it clear that if it is not satisfied with the probe done by the state authority then it would order for CBI probe.
In its report, the state government said "A total of 243 arrests have been made till date out of which 183 belong to Hindu and 60 belong to Muslim community. 2614 persons in various districts have been arrested under Section 151 (preventive detention)."
"An analysis of 128 communal cases which were lodged by the aggrieved persons shows that a total 615 Hindus and 261 Muslims persons were named therein with the names of another 192 persons coming to light in the course of investigation, thus totalling 1068 accused persons relatable to 128 cases lodged in the five districts," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai