UP: Four troopers injured in villagers` attack
Bahraich: At least four Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) troopers were injured in a mob attack after they tried to intercept a group of villagers who were illegally cutting trees in a forest near the India-Nepal border here, police said on Monday.
After being prevented from taking away the wood late Sunday from the forest area in Rupaidiha town, the villagers turned violent and attacked the SSB troopers of the 7th Battalion.
"All the SSB troopers are being treated at a hospital. They have received multiple injuries. Of the four, the condition of one is stated to be serious because of critical head injuries," Superintendent of Police Ram Swaroop told reporters in Bahraich, some 140 km from Lucknow.
"We have registered a case against 30-odd villagers, who managed to escape after the attack," he added.
According to police, preliminary investigations reveal that most of those who attacked SSB troopers were natives of Bahraich`s Rohania village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon