UP: Four troopers injured in villagers` attack
Bahraich: At least four Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) troopers were injured in a mob attack after they tried to intercept a group of villagers who were illegally cutting trees in a forest near the India-Nepal border here, police said on Monday.
After being prevented from taking away the wood late Sunday from the forest area in Rupaidiha town, the villagers turned violent and attacked the SSB troopers of the 7th Battalion.
"All the SSB troopers are being treated at a hospital. They have received multiple injuries. Of the four, the condition of one is stated to be serious because of critical head injuries," Superintendent of Police Ram Swaroop told reporters in Bahraich, some 140 km from Lucknow.
"We have registered a case against 30-odd villagers, who managed to escape after the attack," he added.
According to police, preliminary investigations reveal that most of those who attacked SSB troopers were natives of Bahraich`s Rohania village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi