UP: Four troopers injured in villagers` attack
Bahraich: At least four Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) troopers were injured in a mob attack after they tried to intercept a group of villagers who were illegally cutting trees in a forest near the India-Nepal border here, police said on Monday.
After being prevented from taking away the wood late Sunday from the forest area in Rupaidiha town, the villagers turned violent and attacked the SSB troopers of the 7th Battalion.
"All the SSB troopers are being treated at a hospital. They have received multiple injuries. Of the four, the condition of one is stated to be serious because of critical head injuries," Superintendent of Police Ram Swaroop told reporters in Bahraich, some 140 km from Lucknow.
"We have registered a case against 30-odd villagers, who managed to escape after the attack," he added.
According to police, preliminary investigations reveal that most of those who attacked SSB troopers were natives of Bahraich`s Rohania village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP