UP: Four troopers injured in villagers` attack
Bahraich: At least four Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) troopers were injured in a mob attack after they tried to intercept a group of villagers who were illegally cutting trees in a forest near the India-Nepal border here, police said on Monday.
After being prevented from taking away the wood late Sunday from the forest area in Rupaidiha town, the villagers turned violent and attacked the SSB troopers of the 7th Battalion.
"All the SSB troopers are being treated at a hospital. They have received multiple injuries. Of the four, the condition of one is stated to be serious because of critical head injuries," Superintendent of Police Ram Swaroop told reporters in Bahraich, some 140 km from Lucknow.
"We have registered a case against 30-odd villagers, who managed to escape after the attack," he added.
According to police, preliminary investigations reveal that most of those who attacked SSB troopers were natives of Bahraich`s Rohania village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday