UP gets its first revenue village under Forest Act
Bahraich: Rechristened as Gokulpur,
Dafedaar Gaudi village in Uttar Pradesh`s Behraich district
has became the first tribal village in the state to be
converted into a revenue village under the Forest Rights Act.
The move will help some 53 tribal families living their
since past 80 years to avail government welfare and
development schemes being implemented through village
The district magistrate Rigzian Samphal yesterday
distributed the registry deeds of agricultural land to 53
families of the village to start the process.
This is the first forest village in the state which has
been converted into a revenue village, he said.
Jitendra Chaturvedi, the district coordinator of Dehat--
an NGO working for getting forest rights restored for forest
dwellers, said, forest dwellers living in such villages across
the country are deprived of facilities like ration cards and
other government schemes and jobs.
Following years of agitations, the Union government in
2006 passed Scheduled tribe and traditional forest dwellers
(recognition of forest rights ) Act, which came into force in
"The Act would benefit lakhs of such forest dwellers all
over the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter