UP gets its first revenue village under Forest Act
Bahraich: Rechristened as Gokulpur,
Dafedaar Gaudi village in Uttar Pradesh`s Behraich district
has became the first tribal village in the state to be
converted into a revenue village under the Forest Rights Act.
The move will help some 53 tribal families living their
since past 80 years to avail government welfare and
development schemes being implemented through village
The district magistrate Rigzian Samphal yesterday
distributed the registry deeds of agricultural land to 53
families of the village to start the process.
This is the first forest village in the state which has
been converted into a revenue village, he said.
Jitendra Chaturvedi, the district coordinator of Dehat--
an NGO working for getting forest rights restored for forest
dwellers, said, forest dwellers living in such villages across
the country are deprived of facilities like ration cards and
other government schemes and jobs.
Following years of agitations, the Union government in
2006 passed Scheduled tribe and traditional forest dwellers
(recognition of forest rights ) Act, which came into force in
"The Act would benefit lakhs of such forest dwellers all
over the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video