UP gives go ahead to prosecution of tainted doctors, officials
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Monday gave the much awaited go-ahead for prosecution of 22 doctors and five state government employees for their alleged role in the multi-crore-rupee National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam that rocked the state during the Mayawati-led government.
After this approval, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will be free to register cases under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the accused.
While Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had been sitting over the CBI`s request for prosecution of these officials and doctors, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court (HC) Aug 23 had rapped the state government for not allowing the prosecution and had asked it to expedite the necessary approvals and report back on Aug 29.
The principal secretary (health), Sanjay Agarwal, had been summoned by the HC bench of Justices Imtiaz Murtaza and Ashvani Kumar Singh Aug 23 and was asked to explain the delay.
The CBI had sent a request letter to the state government May 23 seeking prosecution of the 22 doctors and the government employees.
The HC bench also directed the CBI to present before it a detailed progress report through a written affidavit on the progress of investigations in the NRHM scam and the murder of two chief medical officers (CMO) by Aug 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered