UP Governor Joshi resigns
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi resigned today as the Narendra Modi government set in motion the process of showing the door to those appointed by the previous UPA regime that includes Kerala Governor Shiela Dikshit and four more.
The new Government is also working on removal of politcal appointees as members in bodies like National Disaster Management Authority.
78-year-old Joshi, a former police service official known for his proximity to Nehru-Gandhi family, sent his resignation to Home Ministry today, a day after the Centre made known to some of the Governors that they quit in the wake of change in government.
Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami is understood to have called the Governors and conveyed the new Government`s desire that they step down, a move the Congress and CPI-M slammed as unconstitutional and unethical.
But BJP leaders felt there was nothing wrong in such a decision.
Among those who are understood to have been called are Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan, a Congressman from Kerala, Diskhit, a former Delhi Chief Minister who was appointed just on the eve of announcement of Lok Sabha polls, West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan, Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar, a former CBI Director.
Kamla Beniwal, who did not share good relations with Modi during his tenure as Chief Minister in Gujarat, may also be on the way out.
Though there was no official word on the whole development, Home Ministry sources said Joshi`s resignation has been received and has been sent to Prime Minister`s Office for approval.
The tenure of Joshi had expired only a few months ago and he was sworn in again for another term.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh reportedly commented that if he were in the place of these Governors he would have quit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city