UP govt announces ban on gutka industry from April 2013
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday decided to impose a ban on gutka industry in the state with effect from April next year, an official spokesman said here.
The ban on gutka industry has been announced as per the provisions of Food Safety and Standards Act, he said.
The step has been initiated as several states have already banned gutka products, he said.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has decided to impose the ban from April 1, 2013 to help millions of workers involved in the industry find alternative employment, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror