UP govt clears BSP MLA’s arrest in rape case
New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday ordered the arrest of BSP MLA Purshottam Dwivedi in connection with the rape of a teenaged Dalit girl in Uttar Pradesh`s Banda district. The arrest order came after the CB-CID, which was asked to probe the matter by Chief Minister Mayawati, submitted its report.
After its preliminary inquiry, the investigating agency found that the BSP MLA raped the 17-year-old Dalit girl in his official residence last month, whereas his associates Rajendra Shula, Surendra Neta and Ravan Garj allegedly sexually assaulted her. The CB-CID report also dismissed the charges of theft against the Dalit girl.
Soon after the state CB-CID submitted its preliminary report in the case, the Mayawati-led BSP government ordered registeraton of an FIR against the ruling party MLA and his three associates.
“On the directive of the Chief Minister, a case of rape has been registered against the MLA and his three aides. Orders were issued for their arrest in connection with the alleged criminal assault,” Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh said. Mayawati had also issued orders for immediate arrest of the legislator and three others, he told reporters here, he informed.
The arrests could take place anytime as police teams had been despatched to Banda and other places, he said.
"We are not giving clean chit to anyone including the policemen. Stern action will be taken against all those found guilty."
Soon after the case cropped up the MLA accused the victim of stealing clothes and jewellery from his house. He also accused the girl of stealing his pistol and Rs 5000.
The teenaged girl, who appeared before civil judge junior division Ravi Kumar Gupta on Monday, alleged in her statement that Dwiwedi raped her twice while his aides teased her, prosecution sources said.
After recording the girl`s statement, the court ordered the Superintendent of Police, Banda to take immediate legal action. The Uttar Pradesh government had ordered the CB-CID to investigate into the matter after wide speared political outcry.
The BSP had suspended Dwivedi from the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Tamil Nadu Budget 2016-17: All you need to know
- Need mix of fiscal, monetary policies to deal with Brexit: FM Jaitley
- Rio Olympics 2016: CAS rejects Russia appeal, bars athletes from mega event
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian