UP govt decision on funds for minorities poll gimmick: Mayawati
Lucknow: Terming as "fraud" the Uttar Pradesh government`s decision to earmark 20 per cent funds of welfare schemes for minorities, BSP supremo Mayawati on Wednesday said it was an attempt to mislead people ahead of forthcoming general elections.
"The decision is a fraud with Muslims. It has been taken by Samajwadi Party government to mislead the community ahead of Lok Sabha polls and create communal atmosphere by inciting people and parties like BJP to gain political mileage. It seems that the intention of SP is not good," Mayawati said in a statement here.
"It is also an indication of SP`s deviation from its poll promise of giving reservation to Muslims on the basis of their population," she said.
The former UP chief Minister said SP had promised reservation to Muslims based on recommendations of the Sachar Committee by considering them most backward in social, economic and educational areas, but no concrete decision had been taken (for their welfare) in past one and a half year.
She said the decision (to allocate funds for minorities) announced by the state Cabinet yesterday should have been taken earlier while preparing budget for this financial year.
"Had the scheme been launched earlier, it could have benefited some...But after passage of half of the financial year, this scheme is of no use now," she said.
Pointing out that SP`s promises to open new educational institutions in Muslim-dominated areas and give special legal rights to Arbi-Farsi university in Lucknow were also not kept, Mayawati said the SP government was not serious about addressing issues of minority community.
"SP government is not serious on issues pertaining to minority community, or else it would have implemented promises made during polls," she said.
Calling the state government "a failure," Mayawati said people, especially of Muslim community, had lost trust in it due to poor law and order and increasing communal clashes and tension in the state under the present regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama
- Check Mahresults.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org for class 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE today at 1 PM
- Pinarayi Vijayan to swear-in as Kerala CM today, says people have high hopes of us