UP govt decision on funds for minorities poll gimmick: Mayawati
Lucknow: Terming as "fraud" the Uttar Pradesh government`s decision to earmark 20 per cent funds of welfare schemes for minorities, BSP supremo Mayawati on Wednesday said it was an attempt to mislead people ahead of forthcoming general elections.
"The decision is a fraud with Muslims. It has been taken by Samajwadi Party government to mislead the community ahead of Lok Sabha polls and create communal atmosphere by inciting people and parties like BJP to gain political mileage. It seems that the intention of SP is not good," Mayawati said in a statement here.
"It is also an indication of SP`s deviation from its poll promise of giving reservation to Muslims on the basis of their population," she said.
The former UP chief Minister said SP had promised reservation to Muslims based on recommendations of the Sachar Committee by considering them most backward in social, economic and educational areas, but no concrete decision had been taken (for their welfare) in past one and a half year.
She said the decision (to allocate funds for minorities) announced by the state Cabinet yesterday should have been taken earlier while preparing budget for this financial year.
"Had the scheme been launched earlier, it could have benefited some...But after passage of half of the financial year, this scheme is of no use now," she said.
Pointing out that SP`s promises to open new educational institutions in Muslim-dominated areas and give special legal rights to Arbi-Farsi university in Lucknow were also not kept, Mayawati said the SP government was not serious about addressing issues of minority community.
"SP government is not serious on issues pertaining to minority community, or else it would have implemented promises made during polls," she said.
Calling the state government "a failure," Mayawati said people, especially of Muslim community, had lost trust in it due to poor law and order and increasing communal clashes and tension in the state under the present regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason