UP govt distributes free battery operated rickshaws
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Saturday launched a scheme for free distribution of battery operated rickshaws.
Handing over 23 such vehicles to rickshawpullers for the trial phase here, Yadav said with this programme, the Samajwadi Party has fulfilled another promise it had made in its manifesto.
SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav appreciated the scheme and said that in the days to come, it would prove as a model for other states to emulate.
Urban Development Minister Mohammad Azam Khan said that based on the experience and feedback of the trial programme, technical committee would finalise the rickshaws to be finally given free of cost. The 23 rickshaws distributed today are from 13 companies.
He said their maintenance would be done by the state government.
Till now, local bodies have registered 2.48 lakh rickshaw pullers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre