UP: Govt employees continue stir against quota bill
Lucknow: Government employees in Uttar Pradesh continued their agitation against quota for SC/STs in promotions for the sixth day Tuesday.
"This bill is not in the favour of the nation and nearly 18 lakh employees are continuing on strike to oppose it," President of Sarvjan Hitay Sanrakshan Samiti Shailendra Dubey said.
He said that the decision taken in the Rajya Sabha was unfortunate and poses a danger to social harmony.
On the other hand the pro-reservation staff has decided to work for four extra hours every day.
"The Araskshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti has decided that in case of strike it members would continue to work for extra four house," its convenor Awadhesh Verma said.
The Constitution amendment bill providing for quota in promotions for SCs and STs in government jobs was passed by the Rajya Sabha yesterday with an overwhelming support in which the Samajwadi Party was isolated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery