UP: Govt employees continue stir against quota bill
Lucknow: Government employees in Uttar Pradesh continued their agitation against quota for SC/STs in promotions for the sixth day Tuesday.
"This bill is not in the favour of the nation and nearly 18 lakh employees are continuing on strike to oppose it," President of Sarvjan Hitay Sanrakshan Samiti Shailendra Dubey said.
He said that the decision taken in the Rajya Sabha was unfortunate and poses a danger to social harmony.
On the other hand the pro-reservation staff has decided to work for four extra hours every day.
"The Araskshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti has decided that in case of strike it members would continue to work for extra four house," its convenor Awadhesh Verma said.
The Constitution amendment bill providing for quota in promotions for SCs and STs in government jobs was passed by the Rajya Sabha yesterday with an overwhelming support in which the Samajwadi Party was isolated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'