UP Govt hands over Rs 1.85L to Dalit woman who hosted Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: UP minister Gayatri Prasad Prajapati today handed over a cheque of Rs 1.85 lakh to Sunita Kori to build her house, where she had hosted many high-profile guests including Congress`s Rahul Gandhi to AAP`s Kumar Vishwas.
Dalit woman Sunita became famous after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi spent a night at her home at Jawahr Singh ka Purwa village in Sangrampur area of Amethi in 2008.
This attention, however, enraged some who allegedly set her house on fire in March 2012.
The next day Samajwadi Party`s Prajapati, who is the local MLA, visited her and laid the foundation stone of a new building, but the construction work was delayed following some dispute.
Aam Aadmi Party`s Kumar Vishwas, who entered the Amethi political circle recently and is likely to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections from here, visited Sunita earlier this year and helped repair her house.
With the Lok Sabha elections a few months away, Prajapati today handed over the cheque of Rs 1.85 lakh under Lohia Awas Yojna. Talking to reporters, the minister said he had come on the directives of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred