UP Govt hands over Rs 1.85L to Dalit woman who hosted Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: UP minister Gayatri Prasad Prajapati today handed over a cheque of Rs 1.85 lakh to Sunita Kori to build her house, where she had hosted many high-profile guests including Congress`s Rahul Gandhi to AAP`s Kumar Vishwas.
Dalit woman Sunita became famous after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi spent a night at her home at Jawahr Singh ka Purwa village in Sangrampur area of Amethi in 2008.
This attention, however, enraged some who allegedly set her house on fire in March 2012.
The next day Samajwadi Party`s Prajapati, who is the local MLA, visited her and laid the foundation stone of a new building, but the construction work was delayed following some dispute.
Aam Aadmi Party`s Kumar Vishwas, who entered the Amethi political circle recently and is likely to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections from here, visited Sunita earlier this year and helped repair her house.
With the Lok Sabha elections a few months away, Prajapati today handed over the cheque of Rs 1.85 lakh under Lohia Awas Yojna. Talking to reporters, the minister said he had come on the directives of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday