UP govt has lost control over police, alleges BJP
Lucknow: Citing several recent incidents of crime in which police personnel were allegedly involved in Uttar Pradesh, BJP on Thursday claimed the law and order situation has worsened in the state and the SP government has lost control over the police administration.
BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak, citing yesterday`s incident in which a policeman allegedly tried to molest a woman in Lucknow, said that there has been no improvement in the law and order front since the current government took over.
"The manner in which a policeman attempted to molest a woman inside a police station in the state capital yesterday is a blot on the SP government," Pathak told reporters here.
He alleged that despite being caught by senior officers, the policeman managed to flee from the spot.
"How come the accused managed to flee from the police station while the senior officials were present. Action should also be taken against them," he said.
Pathak said that though Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav terms law and order his top priority, there had been "no major improvement on this front."
"There had been a number of cases in the last four months of the SP government in which policemen were involved," Pathak alleged.
On May 26, a girl was raped inside a police outpost in Badaun district, and in a similar incident a woman was gang raped by a policeman and homeguards in Firozabad district on June 7, he claimed.
"On June 27, Lucknow police brutally assaulted a mentally deranged youth, whereas a policeman assaulted a doctor in Barabanki district on July 2.
"All these incidents prove that the government has no control over its police," he said.
The chief minister should take cognisance of such incidents and take stern action against erring policemen, said the BJP spokesman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH