UP govt helped Varun Gandhi go scot free: Beni Prasad Verma
Lucknow: Union minister Beni Prasad Verma on Thursday sparked a fresh row alleging that BJP leader Varun Gandhi was allowed to go scot free in the hate speech case due to tacit understanding with SP government in Uttar Pradesh.
"Due to the pressure of the state government, witnesses did not turn up in the court to depose," the Union steel minister claimed.
Besides this, the government did not challenge the court order acquitting Varun in Pilibhit.
He accused SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav of being "communal" and alleged that he was involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque.
"Mulayam had always been an associate of communal forces. He was also involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque," Beni alleged.
The minister also alleged that the SP supremo helped Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to return to the power after Godhra riots in 2002.
"After communal riots in Gujarat, there was an anti-Modi atmosphere and he might have lost the polls... But he (Mulayam) fielded his candidates and campaigned for them which led to division of Muslim votes and Modi won," Verma alleged.
He alleged there was a conspiracy to demolish the Mosque on October 30, 1990 itself during the regime of Mulayam and also there was an agreement between the SP supremo and BJP leader L K Advani.
In reply to another question, Verma said there were no differences between Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the decision to call for resignation of Railway Minister Pawan Bansal and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar "was taken with consensus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?