UP govt helped Varun go scott free, alleges Beni
Lucknow: Union minister Beni Prasad Verma on Tuesday sparked a fresh row alleging that BJP leader Varun Gandhi was cleared by a court in hate speech case due to tacit understanding with SP government in Uttar Pradesh.
"Due to the pressure of the state government, witnesses did not turn up in the court to depose," the Union Steel Minister claimed.
Besides this, the government did not challenge the order given in favour of Varun by a court in Pilibhit.
He termed the SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav as "communal" and alleged that he was involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque.
"Mulayam had always been an associate of communal forces. He was also involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque," Beni told reporters here.
The minister also alleged that the SP supremo helped Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to return to the power after Godhra riots in 2002.
"After communal riots in Gujarat, there was an anti-Modi atmosphere and he might have lost the polls... But he (Mulayam) fielded his candidates and campaigned for them which led to division of Muslim votes and Modi won," Verma alleged.
He alleged there was a conspiracy to demolish the Mosque on October 30, 1990 itself during the regime of Mulayam and also there was an agreement between the SP supremo and BJP leader L K Advani.
He also alleged that even the `rath yatra` of Advani, which flared communal passion in the country, started after an understanding with Mulayam.
In reply to another question, Verma said there was no difference between Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the decision to call for resignation of Railway Minister Pawan Bansal and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar "was taken with consensus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what