UP govt helped Varun go scott free, alleges Beni
Lucknow: Union minister Beni Prasad Verma on Tuesday sparked a fresh row alleging that BJP leader Varun Gandhi was cleared by a court in hate speech case due to tacit understanding with SP government in Uttar Pradesh.
"Due to the pressure of the state government, witnesses did not turn up in the court to depose," the Union Steel Minister claimed.
Besides this, the government did not challenge the order given in favour of Varun by a court in Pilibhit.
He termed the SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav as "communal" and alleged that he was involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque.
"Mulayam had always been an associate of communal forces. He was also involved in the conspiracy to demolish Babri Mosque," Beni told reporters here.
The minister also alleged that the SP supremo helped Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to return to the power after Godhra riots in 2002.
"After communal riots in Gujarat, there was an anti-Modi atmosphere and he might have lost the polls... But he (Mulayam) fielded his candidates and campaigned for them which led to division of Muslim votes and Modi won," Verma alleged.
He alleged there was a conspiracy to demolish the Mosque on October 30, 1990 itself during the regime of Mulayam and also there was an agreement between the SP supremo and BJP leader L K Advani.
He also alleged that even the `rath yatra` of Advani, which flared communal passion in the country, started after an understanding with Mulayam.
In reply to another question, Verma said there was no difference between Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the decision to call for resignation of Railway Minister Pawan Bansal and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar "was taken with consensus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation