UP govt looking into report of Khurshids` trust
New Delhi: Acting on the request of Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s wife Louise Khurshid, Uttar Pradesh government has begun the process of verifying the handicapped welfare examination report of Zakir Hussain Trust run by the couple for 2009-2010 which is embroiled in a controversy.
In a communication to Louise Khurshid on October 3, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav told her that he has forwarded her letter in this regard to the Chief Secretary of the state`s Handicapped Welfare Department and she will be apprised of the action taken there of.
A Hindi news channel had on October 9 alleged that the NGO forged signatures of senior officials in several districts of Uttar Pradesh depriving disabled people of their money.
The issue led to a political controversy and activist Arvind Kejriwal announced joining a march of the disabled persons to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence on October 12 protesting against the alleged "money bungling" by the NGO.
A day after the controversy broke out, Khurshid`s wife yesterday came out with a strong denial saying the allegation is "devoid of any merit, and is false, malicious and baseless".
In a statement, she said she herself had requested UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on September 17 to conduct an inquiry so that "truth is revealed and it is established that the Trust has not forged the signatures of any officers of the state of UP".
Kejriwal had also demanded the resignation of the Law Minister while the BJP hit out at Khurshid saying it was a "serious matter" and that a "forgery" has been committed.
Congress has refrained from going into the merits of the allegations saying that the Law Minister`s wife has already clarified the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees