UP govt looking into report of Khurshids` trust
New Delhi: Acting on the request of Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s wife Louise Khurshid, Uttar Pradesh government has begun the process of verifying the handicapped welfare examination report of Zakir Hussain Trust run by the couple for 2009-2010 which is embroiled in a controversy.
In a communication to Louise Khurshid on October 3, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav told her that he has forwarded her letter in this regard to the Chief Secretary of the state`s Handicapped Welfare Department and she will be apprised of the action taken there of.
A Hindi news channel had on October 9 alleged that the NGO forged signatures of senior officials in several districts of Uttar Pradesh depriving disabled people of their money.
The issue led to a political controversy and activist Arvind Kejriwal announced joining a march of the disabled persons to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence on October 12 protesting against the alleged "money bungling" by the NGO.
A day after the controversy broke out, Khurshid`s wife yesterday came out with a strong denial saying the allegation is "devoid of any merit, and is false, malicious and baseless".
In a statement, she said she herself had requested UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on September 17 to conduct an inquiry so that "truth is revealed and it is established that the Trust has not forged the signatures of any officers of the state of UP".
Kejriwal had also demanded the resignation of the Law Minister while the BJP hit out at Khurshid saying it was a "serious matter" and that a "forgery" has been committed.
Congress has refrained from going into the merits of the allegations saying that the Law Minister`s wife has already clarified the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?