UP govt orders CBI inquiry into Lakhimpur case
Lucknow: A day after the apex court ordered
CBI inquiry into alleged rape of a girl by Banda BSP MLA,
Mayawati government on Tuesday recommended handing over to the
agency the sensational Lakhimpur case in which body of a
14-year-old girl was found hanging from a tree in a police
The two cases had caused a major embarassment to Mayawati
Government with the Opposition attacking it on the law and
order situation in the state.
Chief Minister Mayawati has recommended a CBI probe into
the alleged rape and murder of the girl who was found hanging
from a tree inside the premises of Nighasan Police Station in
June, a release issued by the Home Department here said.
Though the CB-CID inquiry was ordered in the case and a
chargesheet against three policemen of the police station was
submitted, the government believed that strong action needed
to be taken against the guilty no matter how much influential
they might be, the release said.
Giving an account of the steps taken by the Mayawati
government in connection with the case, the release pointed
out that besides suspending the entire workforce of the police
station concerned, the superintendent of police had been
suspended and circle officer transferred.
A case of rape and murder was registered on June 10 after
which a panel of three doctors conducted the post mortem which
was video graphed, it said.
Another post-mortem was also conducted on June 13 in which
the cause of death was strangulation and rape was ruled out,
the release added.
Meanwhile, the state government today sent a formal letter
on the CBI inquiry into the Banda rape case and clarified that
the victim Sheelu is not a Dalit but belongs to other backward
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!