UP govt procuring latest firearms for police force
Lucknow: In a bid to modernise the state police, the Uttar Pradesh government is in the process of procuring latest firearms for the force to help them in dealing with terrorists and anti-social elements.
"We are in the process of purchasing sniper rifles, glock pistols, 12 bore pump action guns, MP-5 submachine guns. This will be made available to the force soon",
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Mohammad Azam Khan said while replying to a question raised by BJP member Shyamdeo Roy Chowdhury in the Vidhan Sabha.
The minister said that to deal with anti-social elements, 204021 posts of different categories had been sanctioned in the police department of which 35844 posts were filled and process to fill remaining was on.
About the latest weapons available with the police force, Khan said that 7.62 SLR, 5.56 Insas rifle, AK 47, LMG, 7.62 gun machine, 7.62 mm LMG-Insas, 9 mm pistol, glock pistol, anti-riot gun and tear gas gun are available with the department.
Replying to a supplementary question by Chowdhury, Khan said that there was no criteria fixed for deployment of force on basis of population.
On attempts to check terrorist activities, Khan said that the Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) has been constituted for this purpose and it was entrused with the task of keeping an eye on suspicious activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!