UP govt proposes to increase honorarium of shiksha mitras
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government today said it has sent a proposal to the Centre to increase the honorarium of `shiksha mitras` to Rs 5,000 per month.
In reply to a question by Pradip Chaudhary (BJP), Minister for basic education Ram Govind Chaudhary said a proposal to this effect has been sent to the central government and it would be hiked once the Centre gives its approval.
The minister said those presently working as `shiksha mitras` would be absorbed as teachers after giving them training.
Shiksha mitras provide education in state-run primary schools and they are currently paid an honorarium of Rs 3,500.
Replying to another question by Suresh Kumar Khanna (BJP) on mid day meal in primary schools, Chaudhary said permission has been given to distribute the mid day meal through NGOs in primary schools in rural areas in case the concerned gram panchayats/local bodies or schools express their inability to do so themselves.
The minister said 275 NGOs were already working in 36 districts and a decision has been taken that NGO `Akshay Patra` would do the same in Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra and Kannauj.
To a supplementary by Dr Ayub (Peace Party), the minister said the scheme was also being implemented in madrasas but the government would see to it wherever it was not so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat