UP govt rules out hike in wheat MSP, Oppn walks out
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday ruled out any increase in minimum support price of wheat fixed by the Centre, prompting an angry opposition to stage a walkout in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
The matter was raised during the question hour by RLD leader Dalveer Singh and others, who sought to know from the state government whether it was considering increasing support price of Rs 1,350 per quintal for wheat fixed by the Centre.
When Agriculture Minister Anand Kumar Singh replied that there was no such move due to financial constraints, RLD members accused the Samajwadi Party government of being "anti-farmer" and staged a walkout.
They were soon followed by Congress lawmakers after party leader Pramod Tiwari said that support price of Rs 1350 for wheat was fixed by Centre but there was not upper limit. He said the state was free to increase it.
He said keeping in mind price rise, the price should be increased.
Later, BJP leader Hukum Singh sought an assurance from the minister that the government will increase the support price in future as two months were still left for harvesting, but the minister said that he cannot give any such assurance.
Unhappy with the Minister`s reply, the BJP members too staged a walkout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read