UP govt sanctions Varun Gandhi’s prosecution
Lucknow: His past is back to haunt him. BJP’s fiery MP from Pilibhit in the state is in for trouble as Uttar Pradesh government on Friday accorded a go-ahead for his prosecution in a 2009 case wherein Gandhi is accused of making derogatory comments against a particular community.
"The state government gave prosecution sanction against BJP MP Varun Gandhi on November 30 on an FIR registered against him at Kotwali police station in Pilibhit district last year," Secretary (Home) Deepak Kumar told.
He will be prosecuted under sections of IPC including 153(A) (promoting enemity between different groups on ground of religion), 295(A) (deliberate and malicious act intended to outrage religious feelings) and 505(2) (statement conducing to public mischief).
Kumar said the sanction has been given in the case relating to the speech given by Varun on March 7, 2009.
During Lok Sabha poll, Varun, who was contesting from Pilibhit constituency, gave allegedly hate speeches in election rallies at Mohalla Dalchand and Barkhera town on March 7 and March 8.
Taking cognisance of the two incidents, the Election Commission had then directed the Chief Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh and the district magistrate to initiate criminal proceedings against Varun.
Later two separate FIRs were lodged against Varun on March 18 and March 19 in this connection.
Gandhi had courted major trouble and had left the BJP red-faced in the run up to 2009 Lok Sabha elections when a CD emerged allegedly showing him making a hate speech against a community.
Gandhi has maintained that the CD was doctored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days