UP govt sanctions Varun Gandhi’s prosecution
Lucknow: His past is back to haunt him. BJP’s fiery MP from Pilibhit in the state is in for trouble as Uttar Pradesh government on Friday accorded a go-ahead for his prosecution in a 2009 case wherein Gandhi is accused of making derogatory comments against a particular community.
"The state government gave prosecution sanction against BJP MP Varun Gandhi on November 30 on an FIR registered against him at Kotwali police station in Pilibhit district last year," Secretary (Home) Deepak Kumar told.
He will be prosecuted under sections of IPC including 153(A) (promoting enemity between different groups on ground of religion), 295(A) (deliberate and malicious act intended to outrage religious feelings) and 505(2) (statement conducing to public mischief).
Kumar said the sanction has been given in the case relating to the speech given by Varun on March 7, 2009.
During Lok Sabha poll, Varun, who was contesting from Pilibhit constituency, gave allegedly hate speeches in election rallies at Mohalla Dalchand and Barkhera town on March 7 and March 8.
Taking cognisance of the two incidents, the Election Commission had then directed the Chief Electoral Officer of Uttar Pradesh and the district magistrate to initiate criminal proceedings against Varun.
Later two separate FIRs were lodged against Varun on March 18 and March 19 in this connection.
Gandhi had courted major trouble and had left the BJP red-faced in the run up to 2009 Lok Sabha elections when a CD emerged allegedly showing him making a hate speech against a community.
Gandhi has maintained that the CD was doctored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling