UP govt seeks police view before forwarding Koli`s mercy plea
Ghaziabad: Before forwarding the mercy
petition of Nithari prime accused Surendra Koli to the
President, the Uttar Pradesh government has sought from the
police its opinion and details of his conduct in jail and the
possible repercussions of hanging him as ordered by a CBI
CBI special Judge Shyam Lal had earlier this month
ordered that Koli be hanged between May 24 and May 31.
The letter from department of law and justice seeking
opinion of the victim`s family members, along with that of the
police and Dasna Jail authorities about Koli`s conduct was
received by Senior SP Gautam Budh Nagar, police said.
The letter also sought views of the police regarding the
fallout of hanging him in nearby circle of Nithari village.
They said the reply has to be sent within a day or two
since the stipulated period for hanging Koli expires next
The CBI Judge had on May 19 asked the jail superintendent
to produce the opinion of secretary law and justice about the
mercy petition and had fixed May 23 for next hearing.
Since he was on leave yesterday, the hearing was
postponed to May 26.
Meanwhile, Jail Superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma said
that in view of the mercy petition, "it is now up to the Judge
whether he will stay the execution."
The CBI Judge had issued the death warrant for execution
of Koli after the Supreme Court in February confirmed the
death penalty awarded to him in the case related to rape and
murder of 14-year-old Rimpa Haldar.
However, on May 7 Koli had applied for mercy to the
President of India through the Jail Superintendent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal