UP govt seeks police view before forwarding Koli`s mercy plea
Ghaziabad: Before forwarding the mercy
petition of Nithari prime accused Surendra Koli to the
President, the Uttar Pradesh government has sought from the
police its opinion and details of his conduct in jail and the
possible repercussions of hanging him as ordered by a CBI
CBI special Judge Shyam Lal had earlier this month
ordered that Koli be hanged between May 24 and May 31.
The letter from department of law and justice seeking
opinion of the victim`s family members, along with that of the
police and Dasna Jail authorities about Koli`s conduct was
received by Senior SP Gautam Budh Nagar, police said.
The letter also sought views of the police regarding the
fallout of hanging him in nearby circle of Nithari village.
They said the reply has to be sent within a day or two
since the stipulated period for hanging Koli expires next
The CBI Judge had on May 19 asked the jail superintendent
to produce the opinion of secretary law and justice about the
mercy petition and had fixed May 23 for next hearing.
Since he was on leave yesterday, the hearing was
postponed to May 26.
Meanwhile, Jail Superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma said
that in view of the mercy petition, "it is now up to the Judge
whether he will stay the execution."
The CBI Judge had issued the death warrant for execution
of Koli after the Supreme Court in February confirmed the
death penalty awarded to him in the case related to rape and
murder of 14-year-old Rimpa Haldar.
However, on May 7 Koli had applied for mercy to the
President of India through the Jail Superintendent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27