UP govt seeks report from districts on pending rape cases
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh government has sought information from every district of the state about rape cases that are pending in courts, amid a demand to fast track their trial following outrage over Delhi gang-rape incident.
Government has directed the prosecution department to ensure speedy trials of such cases in the 75 districts in the state, official sources said here today.
More than 300 such cases, including one against Bahujan Samajwadi Party(BSP) MLA, were found pending in different courts of Muzaffarnagar district alone, they said.
According to senior prosecuting officer SK Gupta, out of the 300, eight cases of gang-rape and 21 cases of atrocities against dalit women are pending. Efforts are on to fast track these cases.
Meanwhile, a parliamentary panel looking into the Delhi gangrape incident was yesterday told that there are 8,000 pending cases involving crimes against women in the Allahabad High Court alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack