UP govt seeks report from districts on pending rape cases
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh government has sought information from every district of the state about rape cases that are pending in courts, amid a demand to fast track their trial following outrage over Delhi gang-rape incident.
Government has directed the prosecution department to ensure speedy trials of such cases in the 75 districts in the state, official sources said here today.
More than 300 such cases, including one against Bahujan Samajwadi Party(BSP) MLA, were found pending in different courts of Muzaffarnagar district alone, they said.
According to senior prosecuting officer SK Gupta, out of the 300, eight cases of gang-rape and 21 cases of atrocities against dalit women are pending. Efforts are on to fast track these cases.
Meanwhile, a parliamentary panel looking into the Delhi gangrape incident was yesterday told that there are 8,000 pending cases involving crimes against women in the Allahabad High Court alone.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Turkish scribes get two years jail for publishing Prophet cartoon
- 60 percent voting in 2nd phase of panchayat polls in Bihar
- Prosecutors says ISIS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome
- Bomb blast in Assam's Tinsukia area; dozens injured, some in serious condition
- EWS admission: Delhi Govt issues fresh instructions to schools