UP govt seeks report from districts on pending rape cases
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh government has sought information from every district of the state about rape cases that are pending in courts, amid a demand to fast track their trial following outrage over Delhi gang-rape incident.
Government has directed the prosecution department to ensure speedy trials of such cases in the 75 districts in the state, official sources said here today.
More than 300 such cases, including one against Bahujan Samajwadi Party(BSP) MLA, were found pending in different courts of Muzaffarnagar district alone, they said.
According to senior prosecuting officer SK Gupta, out of the 300, eight cases of gang-rape and 21 cases of atrocities against dalit women are pending. Efforts are on to fast track these cases.
Meanwhile, a parliamentary panel looking into the Delhi gangrape incident was yesterday told that there are 8,000 pending cases involving crimes against women in the Allahabad High Court alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal