UP govt seeks report from districts on pending rape cases
Muzaffarnagar: Uttar Pradesh government has sought information from every district of the state about rape cases that are pending in courts, amid a demand to fast track their trial following outrage over Delhi gang-rape incident.
Government has directed the prosecution department to ensure speedy trials of such cases in the 75 districts in the state, official sources said here today.
More than 300 such cases, including one against Bahujan Samajwadi Party(BSP) MLA, were found pending in different courts of Muzaffarnagar district alone, they said.
According to senior prosecuting officer SK Gupta, out of the 300, eight cases of gang-rape and 21 cases of atrocities against dalit women are pending. Efforts are on to fast track these cases.
Meanwhile, a parliamentary panel looking into the Delhi gangrape incident was yesterday told that there are 8,000 pending cases involving crimes against women in the Allahabad High Court alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why