UP govt sends ordinance on SC/ST employee quota to Guv
Lucknow: In a bid to implement the Supreme Court`s order quashing provision of reservation in promotions for SC/ST officers and employees, Uttar Pradesh government has sent an ordinance to Governor BL Joshi for his approval.
"As the assembly session is not in progress, the government late last evening decided to bring an ordinance for repealing the existing rule related to reservation in promotions," a senior official told a news agency.
The ordinance was sent to Governor Joshi last night itself for his assent to implement it immediately.
The government will later put the ordinance in the Vidhan Sabha, whose session is expected later this month, for making it a law.
The Supreme Court in its order last month upheld the High Court`s order to scrap quota in promotions.
The legal battle on the issue had started soon after the Mayawati government took charge in 2007. The BSP government decided to implement the quota for SC/ST in recruitment as well as in promotions.
The decision of the state government will benefit about 16 lakh government employees awaiting promotions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review