UP govt sends reminder notice to Bhushans on tax evasion
Allahabad: The Uttar Pradesh government,
which had issued a notice to lawyer Shanti Bhushan and his
three children for allegedly evading stamp duty to the tune of
Rs 1.3 crore on purchase of property in a prime locality here
has sent a reminder to the family on the issue.
"A notice was issued on February 5 last to Bhushan
(lawyer Shanti Bhushan), his two sons Prashant and Jayant,
besides daughter Shefali, who had purchased properties spread
over 7,818 sq metres of land in Civil Lines area in October by
allegedly evading stamp duty of Rs 1.33 crore," Deputy
Inspector General, department of Stamps and Registration,
Panna Lal, told reporters here.
He said a reminder has been issued on April 15 to Shanti
Bhushan and his children, asking them to reply to the notice
latest by April 28.
"If they fail to do so, a fresh notice would be issued
after that date. If no reply is given to the second notice as
well, then the process for attaching the property may have to
be initiated," he said.
The Bhushans have allegedly evaded the stamp duty by
undervaluing their property worth nearly 20 crore.
The land was purchased through an "agreement to sell"
between the Bhushans, and the property`s previous owners --
Harimohan Das Tandon, Sudhir Tandon and Satish Tandon, for
just Rs one lakh and the agreement was formalised on stamp
paper of only Rs 2,000, Lal said.
The former Union Law Minister Shanti Bhushan resided in
the bungalow situated on the land in 1970s, before he moved to
He had, however, not foregone the possession of the
bungalow and his family was consequently involved in a
litigation with the Tandons.
Later, both sides decided on the "agreement to sell".
However, Shanti Bhushan`s son and lawyer Prashant has
repeatedly denied the allegations of evading stamp duty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr