UP govt `serious about` tackling honour killing cases
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday said it had taken "serious note" of the suspected honour killing incident in Bulandshahr district of the state.
"It is a very serious incident especially when some people for social reasons want to have a different kind of rule.... Government has taken a serious note of the incident," state revenue minister Ambika Chaudhary said.
Laxmikant Bajpai of the BJP said the incident, in which 29-year-old Abdul Hakim was shot dead on November 22 in Bulandshahr, should be condemned by all.
"No one can support such an incident," Bajpai added.
The wife of the deceased had yesterday alleged that her family members were behind the shooting.
According to Mahvish, the victim was allegedly shot dead by her family members after he had just entered the village along with her and their two-year-old daughter.
However, the police have claimed that it was not a case of honour killing as none of the accused named in the FIR by the deceased`s brother was from Mahvish`s side.
Mahvish had eloped with Hakim in October of 2010, after which the couple got married and were staying in Delhi in the face of stiff opposition from the wife`s family, they said.
Hakim had also participated in one of the episodes of reality show Satyamev Jayate, hosted by actor Aamir Khan, to speak against the menace of honour killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins