UP govt `serious about` tackling honour killing cases
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday said it had taken "serious note" of the suspected honour killing incident in Bulandshahr district of the state.
"It is a very serious incident especially when some people for social reasons want to have a different kind of rule.... Government has taken a serious note of the incident," state revenue minister Ambika Chaudhary said.
Laxmikant Bajpai of the BJP said the incident, in which 29-year-old Abdul Hakim was shot dead on November 22 in Bulandshahr, should be condemned by all.
"No one can support such an incident," Bajpai added.
The wife of the deceased had yesterday alleged that her family members were behind the shooting.
According to Mahvish, the victim was allegedly shot dead by her family members after he had just entered the village along with her and their two-year-old daughter.
However, the police have claimed that it was not a case of honour killing as none of the accused named in the FIR by the deceased`s brother was from Mahvish`s side.
Mahvish had eloped with Hakim in October of 2010, after which the couple got married and were staying in Delhi in the face of stiff opposition from the wife`s family, they said.
Hakim had also participated in one of the episodes of reality show Satyamev Jayate, hosted by actor Aamir Khan, to speak against the menace of honour killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Nicolas Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini across France
- Hillary Clinton tops 50 percent support from US voters in latest poll
- Qayyara liberated from IS terrorists: Iraqi PM
- US government seeks ban on swimming with Hawaii dolphins
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton exchange angry charges of racism