UP govt `serious about` tackling honour killing cases
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday said it had taken "serious note" of the suspected honour killing incident in Bulandshahr district of the state.
"It is a very serious incident especially when some people for social reasons want to have a different kind of rule.... Government has taken a serious note of the incident," state revenue minister Ambika Chaudhary said.
Laxmikant Bajpai of the BJP said the incident, in which 29-year-old Abdul Hakim was shot dead on November 22 in Bulandshahr, should be condemned by all.
"No one can support such an incident," Bajpai added.
The wife of the deceased had yesterday alleged that her family members were behind the shooting.
According to Mahvish, the victim was allegedly shot dead by her family members after he had just entered the village along with her and their two-year-old daughter.
However, the police have claimed that it was not a case of honour killing as none of the accused named in the FIR by the deceased`s brother was from Mahvish`s side.
Mahvish had eloped with Hakim in October of 2010, after which the couple got married and were staying in Delhi in the face of stiff opposition from the wife`s family, they said.
Hakim had also participated in one of the episodes of reality show Satyamev Jayate, hosted by actor Aamir Khan, to speak against the menace of honour killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'