UP govt terms Mathura clash as shameful
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday said that incidents like Matura clash, which erupted after an alleged extortion bid by some policemen, "throw water on the good works of the state government" and termed it "unfortunate and shameful".
Replying to a question in the Assembly, Parliamentary Affairs Minister in UP government Azam Khan expressed serious concern over the clash between villagers and police at Shergarh in Matura.
The clash erupted yesterday after a villager died in a scuffle with some policemen, who were allegedly demanding bribe from him.
One person was killed and at least six others were injured in the subsequent clash.
Azam was replying to the adjournment notice on the incident which was moved by Tejpal Singh of RLD.
Terming the incident as "unfortunate and shameful", Khan said a case under Section 302 of IPC will be registered against the person who killed the villager.
"Policemen found involved in the case will be suitably punished," he said.
When the RLD members demanded an increase in the compensation amount for the deceased and injured, Khan said he will consult the Leader of the House over it.
The minister stressed on the government`s resolve to initiate dismissal proceedings against policemen who have been suspended three times.
Earlier, Tejpal Singh and Leader of Opposition Swami Prasad Maurya while narrating the sequence of events said that, "the cause of the incident was police extortion."
Singh said,"the boy, Jitendra, who tried to speed past on his tractor when police demanded more money was chased by three policemen and shot dead."
The RLD leader alleged that Jitendra`s "body was later given to a truck driver for dumping, but he (driver) informed the locals, following which agitated villagers attacked the police station".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured