UP has 60% vacant posts in police
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh has an overwhelming vacancy of 60 per cent in its police force against the country average of 25 per cent even as it recorded the highest number of crime cases in any state in India.
At a time when the number of crimes like murder and atrocities against the Schedules Castes (ST) is abnormally high in UP, the state`s police force has only 1,49,168 personnel out of the 3,68,260 sanctioned posts as on January 1, 2011.
Interestingly, 22,87,799 cases, including 4401 of murder, were registered in UP - the highest number of registered crime cases in any state in India.
UP, which is the most populous state, recorded the highest 6,272 cases of crime against SCs out of a total of 32,712 -- 19.2 per cent of the total incidents in the country in 2010.
As of January 1, 2011, the country has 25 per cent vacancy in its all police forces -- 5,01,069 vacant posts against the total sanctioned strength of 20,64,370 posts.
The other states which have failed to fill up vacancies in their police forces are Andhra Pradesh (31 per cent) with only 90,503 police personnel against the sanctioned posts of 1,31,099 posts, Bihar (28 per cent vacant) -- 62,500 on the job against the sanctioned strength of 85,939 posts and Gujarat (27 per cent) -- 64,376 policemen are on rolls against the sanctioned strength of 87,877 posts.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh too had said that no system or structure can be better than the people who man it.
"It is, therefore, important that we find ways and means of improving not just the number but also the quality of our police personnel," he said last week addressing the conference of Chief Ministers on internal security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report