UP has 60% vacant posts in police
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh has an overwhelming vacancy of 60 per cent in its police force against the country average of 25 per cent even as it recorded the highest number of crime cases in any state in India.
At a time when the number of crimes like murder and atrocities against the Schedules Castes (ST) is abnormally high in UP, the state`s police force has only 1,49,168 personnel out of the 3,68,260 sanctioned posts as on January 1, 2011.
Interestingly, 22,87,799 cases, including 4401 of murder, were registered in UP - the highest number of registered crime cases in any state in India.
UP, which is the most populous state, recorded the highest 6,272 cases of crime against SCs out of a total of 32,712 -- 19.2 per cent of the total incidents in the country in 2010.
As of January 1, 2011, the country has 25 per cent vacancy in its all police forces -- 5,01,069 vacant posts against the total sanctioned strength of 20,64,370 posts.
The other states which have failed to fill up vacancies in their police forces are Andhra Pradesh (31 per cent) with only 90,503 police personnel against the sanctioned posts of 1,31,099 posts, Bihar (28 per cent vacant) -- 62,500 on the job against the sanctioned strength of 85,939 posts and Gujarat (27 per cent) -- 64,376 policemen are on rolls against the sanctioned strength of 87,877 posts.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh too had said that no system or structure can be better than the people who man it.
"It is, therefore, important that we find ways and means of improving not just the number but also the quality of our police personnel," he said last week addressing the conference of Chief Ministers on internal security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues