UP hikes VAT by 0.5%; to make ACs, mobiles costlier
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has hiked the value added tax (VAT) by 0.5 per cent, a move which will make ACs, refrigerators and other such goods costlier.
The decision was taken at the Cabinet meeting yesterday and would be applicable after issuance of the notification today, official sources said.
As per the decision, in addition to 12.5 per cent VAT, which is imposed on certain items, additional tax has been increased from existing 1 per cent to 1.5 per cent.
It will make ACs, refrigerators, motor cycles, cosmetics, shampoos, sanitary goods, tiles, electrical appliances, transformers, water purifiers, cameras, mobile phones (costing more than Rs 10,000), cooked food supplements, industrial LPG, watches, cranes, cement, machinery and others goods costly.
Though the additional tax has been increased, the state government claimed that it was less as compared to the other states.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India