UP hikes VAT by 0.5%; to make ACs, mobiles costlier
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has hiked the value added tax (VAT) by 0.5 per cent, a move which will make ACs, refrigerators and other such goods costlier.
The decision was taken at the Cabinet meeting yesterday and would be applicable after issuance of the notification today, official sources said.
As per the decision, in addition to 12.5 per cent VAT, which is imposed on certain items, additional tax has been increased from existing 1 per cent to 1.5 per cent.
It will make ACs, refrigerators, motor cycles, cosmetics, shampoos, sanitary goods, tiles, electrical appliances, transformers, water purifiers, cameras, mobile phones (costing more than Rs 10,000), cooked food supplements, industrial LPG, watches, cranes, cement, machinery and others goods costly.
Though the additional tax has been increased, the state government claimed that it was less as compared to the other states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama
- Google honours legendary singer Mukesh with a doodle on 93rd birth anniversary
- Start Brexit negotiations as soon as possible: Hollande urges Britain
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva