UP hikes VAT by 0.5%; to make ACs, mobiles costlier
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has hiked the value added tax (VAT) by 0.5 per cent, a move which will make ACs, refrigerators and other such goods costlier.
The decision was taken at the Cabinet meeting yesterday and would be applicable after issuance of the notification today, official sources said.
As per the decision, in addition to 12.5 per cent VAT, which is imposed on certain items, additional tax has been increased from existing 1 per cent to 1.5 per cent.
It will make ACs, refrigerators, motor cycles, cosmetics, shampoos, sanitary goods, tiles, electrical appliances, transformers, water purifiers, cameras, mobile phones (costing more than Rs 10,000), cooked food supplements, industrial LPG, watches, cranes, cement, machinery and others goods costly.
Though the additional tax has been increased, the state government claimed that it was less as compared to the other states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown