UP: IAS officer gets bail in molestation case
Lucknow: A senior IAS officer in the Uttar Pradesh government, who was arrested on charges of attempt to rape and molesting a Delhi-based woman in a train, was Wednesday granted interim bail by a local court here.
Sessions judge KK Sharma granted interim bail to IAS officer Shashi Bhushan Sushil up to October 6 on an application moved on his behalf, court sources said here.
Sushil, Special Secretary in the Technical Education Department, was arrested on Monday and a case under IPC section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) was lodged against him following a complaint by the woman, a senior IT executive, Government Railway Police (GRP) officials said.
The 2001-batch officer was also booked under IPC sections 376 (rape), 511 (attempt to commit offence) and 506 (criminal intimidation) under which he can be imprisoned for life.
According to the FIR lodged by the mother of the woman travelling with her, the officer, who boarded the second AC coach from Ghaziabad, indulged in obscene acts and the conductor and train escorts were duly informed.
The FIR was lodged with the GRP by the woman.
Bhushan was detained after the train reached Charbagh railway station and police interrogated him for four hours before arresting him.
Refuting the molestation charge, the officer claimed that he had got into a verbal duel with the woman after she made a casteist remark against him.
The officer was later suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government.
The government has also removed inspector GRP Anil Rai who allegedly tried to delay the matter and impose less stringent sections in the FIR though the home department refuted the charges.
Sushil was later produced before a local Railway court which remanded him in judicial custody for 14 days.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had said no one would be spared and strict action would be taken against those showing disrespect to women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter