UP: IAS officer gets bail in molestation case
Lucknow: A senior IAS officer in the Uttar Pradesh government, who was arrested on charges of attempt to rape and molesting a Delhi-based woman in a train, was Wednesday granted interim bail by a local court here.
Sessions judge KK Sharma granted interim bail to IAS officer Shashi Bhushan Sushil up to October 6 on an application moved on his behalf, court sources said here.
Sushil, Special Secretary in the Technical Education Department, was arrested on Monday and a case under IPC section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) was lodged against him following a complaint by the woman, a senior IT executive, Government Railway Police (GRP) officials said.
The 2001-batch officer was also booked under IPC sections 376 (rape), 511 (attempt to commit offence) and 506 (criminal intimidation) under which he can be imprisoned for life.
According to the FIR lodged by the mother of the woman travelling with her, the officer, who boarded the second AC coach from Ghaziabad, indulged in obscene acts and the conductor and train escorts were duly informed.
The FIR was lodged with the GRP by the woman.
Bhushan was detained after the train reached Charbagh railway station and police interrogated him for four hours before arresting him.
Refuting the molestation charge, the officer claimed that he had got into a verbal duel with the woman after she made a casteist remark against him.
The officer was later suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government.
The government has also removed inspector GRP Anil Rai who allegedly tried to delay the matter and impose less stringent sections in the FIR though the home department refuted the charges.
Sushil was later produced before a local Railway court which remanded him in judicial custody for 14 days.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had said no one would be spared and strict action would be taken against those showing disrespect to women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi