UP: IAS officer gets bail in molestation case
Lucknow: A senior IAS officer in the Uttar Pradesh government, who was arrested on charges of attempt to rape and molesting a Delhi-based woman in a train, was Wednesday granted interim bail by a local court here.
Sessions judge KK Sharma granted interim bail to IAS officer Shashi Bhushan Sushil up to October 6 on an application moved on his behalf, court sources said here.
Sushil, Special Secretary in the Technical Education Department, was arrested on Monday and a case under IPC section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) was lodged against him following a complaint by the woman, a senior IT executive, Government Railway Police (GRP) officials said.
The 2001-batch officer was also booked under IPC sections 376 (rape), 511 (attempt to commit offence) and 506 (criminal intimidation) under which he can be imprisoned for life.
According to the FIR lodged by the mother of the woman travelling with her, the officer, who boarded the second AC coach from Ghaziabad, indulged in obscene acts and the conductor and train escorts were duly informed.
The FIR was lodged with the GRP by the woman.
Bhushan was detained after the train reached Charbagh railway station and police interrogated him for four hours before arresting him.
Refuting the molestation charge, the officer claimed that he had got into a verbal duel with the woman after she made a casteist remark against him.
The officer was later suspended by the Uttar Pradesh government.
The government has also removed inspector GRP Anil Rai who allegedly tried to delay the matter and impose less stringent sections in the FIR though the home department refuted the charges.
Sushil was later produced before a local Railway court which remanded him in judicial custody for 14 days.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had said no one would be spared and strict action would be taken against those showing disrespect to women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...