UP Information Commission issues notice to Lokayukta
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Information Commission has issued notice to the Lokayukta office for not providing information under the Right to Information Act on the plea that that it was not in the ambit of the Act.
Hearing an application moved by RTI activist Saleem Beg, Chief Information Commissioner Ranjeet Singh Pankaj issued a notice asking why the public information officer of Lokayukta should not be punished under section 20 of the Act for not providing information.
As no officer of Lokayukta office was present during the hearing, the CIC while issuing notice, fixed August 6 as the next date.
On May 10 last year, Beg had moved an application under RTI seeking information regarding list of people, who had lodged complaints against officers and employees of various department between May 13, 2007 to May 8, 2012.
He also sought information regarding action taken on the complaints, district and year-wise list of cases disposed and indictment.
Beg also sought information regarding timeframe to dispose of a complaint and fees.
During a hearing on May 10 this year, Public Information Officer of Lokayukta office Arvind Kumar Singhal submitted in writing that under Section 8 of the RTI, investigating agencies were not covered.
He said Lokayukta was an investigating agency and on this basis, the government through a notification issued on August 2 last year kept it out of the ambit of the Act.
Dissatisfied with the reply, Beg wrote a letter to Singhal and submitted that it was clear in the Section 24 (4) of the Act that no state can stop information on matter relating to corruption.
He made a similar submission before the commission which sought a reply from the Lokayukta office, but during hearing on June 6 no one from the Lokayukta was present.
Issuing the notice, the commission asked the Lokayukta office to clarify the situation and said that why action should not be taken against Singhal if information was not provided.
Terming the government move to keep Lokayukta out of the ambit of RTI as unfortunate, Beg said that not providing information related to the organisation, which probes into corruption cases, was sad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org